This is very good with Dinuguan or just plain rice. Sarap naman! You can add powdered ube or frozen ube to the plain, and to make it a deep purple, add a few drops of food coloring. Add pandan essence and green food coloring for Pandan Puto.
3 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Sugar
2 T baking powder
1 1/2 cup plus 2 T water or Evaporated milk
7 egg whites *Room temp*
3/4 t cream of tartar
8 T. sugar
1. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry.
2. Add 8 T sugar gradually.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients(3c. flour,bakingpowder,1c. sugar) with water or evaporated milk.
4. Fold the egg whites in carefully.(cut and fold method)
5. Add the ube and food coloring until you get the desired color.
6. Pour into your buttered puto molds and if desired, top with grated cheese or salted egg.Steam with a cheese cloth on top of the lid so the evaporating water wont get on the puto.
7. Steam for 5-6 minutes
8. Serve with grated coconut and Enjoy!!!!