1) Preheat oven 400º F or 200º C.
2) Grease a 14 x 16 x 1–inch baking sheet.
3) Put in a bowl: 1 cup tap water, 1 tbsp yeast, 1 tbsp sugar. Let stand 5 minutes.
4) Add 1/4 cup vegetable lard (shortening) or butter, 1/4 cup powdered milk, 1/2 cup granulated or white sugar, 1/4 tsp fine salt, 2 slightly beaten eggs. Gradually add 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Knead, adding 1 cup more flour. Form into a ball and let rise on greased table or bowl for 25 minutes.
5) Make a 2-inch-thick cylinder (or baston) 24 inches long. Cut into 2-inch pieces. Put on prepared tray. Let rise 25 minutes. Dip your forefinger in all-purpose flour and poke into bread. If it leaves a dent and doesn’t spring back, bake right away at pre-heated 400º F or 200º C oven for 25 minutes. Makes 12 big pan de sal.
6) Note: For dark pan de sal use 1/2 cup brown sugar.